Phew. I really went right down to the wire on these baby knits for the auction for Mighty Oaks. But they’re done, and I think they were well worth the extra effort that went into them (more on that later…).
A couple of months ago when I decided I was going to knit baby sweaters for the auction I started looking around at patterns and trying to decide what yarn to use. I happen to pop onto the Wool Candy etsy site and find this adorable kit for sale:
And it turned into this:
Pattern: Saltwater Taffy Baby Sweater by Adrienne Hicks
Yarn: Wool Candy Fondant DK
Modifications: None, followed the pattern exactly as written.
The Wool Candy yarn was a dream to knit with. It’s gorgeously soft, has great stitch definition and makes a wonderfully cushy fabric. The pattern was well written and easy to follow.
Buttons are from Tessa Ann. I ordered them on a whim and they just arrived today and are perfect!
I decided to make a matching headband to accompany the sweater. For the headband part, I just knit in garter stitch for approximately 13 inches. The flower was knit from this pattern and sewn on.
The boy sweater for the auction didn’t go quite as smoothly as the Saltwater Taffy Sweater. I had decided on a pattern quite some time ago and ordered adorable buttons. After purchasing the pattern and knitting the entire body and an inch or two of the first sleeve I realized the sweater was HUGE despite my gauge matching the pattern’s gauge. After consulting a sizing chart, I discovered that instead of a 12-18 month size, it was more like a 3T size. Except that I had been following the length directions for the 12-18 month size, so the sweater was very wide and very short. UGH. Disaster. In a fit of annoyance, I ripped out the entire thing and searched for a new pattern. I’m happy to report that the second attempt went much better than the first attempt!
Pattern: Andalusia by Teresa Cole
Yarn: Wool Candy Fondant DK
Modifications: My gauge was a little off since the pattern calls for a true worsted weight yarn, so I followed the directions for the 12 month size in order to get a 9-12 month size. Two skeins of Fondant DK were just enough for a sweater and matching hat. I used every last yard of the yarn, though I suppose the hat could have done without the pom pom if necessary!
Dinosaur Buttons are from Lil’ Red Button Boutique , aren’t they adorable?!
I didn’t use a pattern for the hat, I just used the stitch counts from a couple of toddler hat patterns I had and knit a basic ribbed brim hat. I made the pom pom with the yarn that was leftover after binding off the hat.
The Andalusia pattern is definitely one I’ll be using again in the future. It was a straight-forward, well-written pattern that showcases hand-dyed yarn beautifully. The texture of the stitch patterns keeps the knitting interesting and looks fabulous.
I wound up some handspun today to start a new project for myself! I think I’m going to knit some slippers with it, since my last pair of handknit slippers have several holes worn in them! I’ll be using this skein of handspun:
La-Di-Dum dyed by Two if by Hand as part of the Spring Spin-A-Long shipment.
Well, I think that’s it for now! I’m off to knit!