According to my husband and father-in-law, a) one can never have too many backpacks and b) each backpack serves a very specific purpose.
I think that this school of thought can certainly be used when discussing any kind of bag. One can never have too many bags. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it. So, today I sewed up a bag for a very specific purpose (but of course, can be used for a variety of things). Any readers who knew me “back in the day,” can tell you that I was an avid dancer throughout elementary school, junior high and high school. I also dabbled a bit in dance during college. Since then, however, I haven’t so much as put on a pair of ballet slippers or tap shoes. Every once in a while I get an urge to join an adult ballet class, but I just haven’t done it.
A couple of weeks ago I was out and about with my friend Betty and her daughter E (I’m teaching them to knit!), and we had to stop so that E could register for dance classes for the fall. Betty was telling me that there was an adult tap class starting and that she was thinking of signing up. Well, that was all the motivation I needed! So Betty and about 8 of her friends (including me) are all signed up to take tap starting tomorrow with a fellow from The Hot Shot Tap Dancers (he’s the one wearing the hat) who were on “America’s Got Talent.” Poor guy…he has no idea what he’s gotten himself into.
Anyways….today I decided I needed to whip up a bag to carry my tap shoes to and from class.
Pattern: Simple Bag from “Last-Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts”
Fabric: High Society by Anthology
Modifications: Oh, at this point do we really expect that I haven’t made any changes? I didn’t think so. I only made a couple of really small changes this time around. I made the straps differently than the pattern called for (and will probably make them a touch longer next time) and used lighter weight fabric. The pattern calls for heavyweight cotton, but I used some medium-weight quilting cotton and used some fusible interfacing to give the bag a little sturdiness. The pattern called for 1/2 yard of each of the fabrics used on the outside of the bag, but I was able to get the pieces cut from fat quarters. I think that the pattern calls for 1/2 yard cuts so that the straps can be made as one long piece and then cut in half. But, it worked perfectly using fat quarters instead. I also think there might be an error in the pattern. The pattern calls for the lining to be cut 13×31″, but then when you sew up the sides of the lining, it states that you’ll be sewing 16″ up the side. Well, maybe I’ve forgotten how to add…but I’m fairly sure that 16 + 16 = 32 and not 31. Ah well, I just made some adjustments when attaching the lining to the outside of the bag, and it worked out just fine. The pattern was really easy to follow and took far less time than the pattern predicted. I think it took me an hour at most, and the book estimates 2-4 hours.
I’ll be sure to report back on the hilarity that is sure to happen during tap class tomorrow night!